Saturday, March 15, 2014

Five Question Friday- 3/14/14


        Five Question Friday is a fun little post each week in which five random questions are answered. Best of all is that you can participate too! Simply leave your answers to the questions in the comment field below! Or, suggest a question to be featured on a future 5QF!

1. If you could be anywhere right now where would you be? What would you be doing?
      I suppose the most obvious answer to this question would be something like "beach" or "vacation" etc. While those would be nice, I don't really have an immediate longing for such. I know, I'm boring. Honestly, I don't wish to be anywhere else or be doing anything else. I'm quite content where I am. I have my home and family with me and that's exactly where I want to be and what I want to be doing. If the setting ever changed to a vacation or whatnot, then that would be just fine too.
      I did have a moment this week in which an exhausting night and overwhelming day did leave me wishing to be elsewhere. My husband watched Tennyson while I ran some errands. It was wonderful at first, but before long I began thinking of them and wanting to be with them instead.


2. What is the nicest thing someone has ever done for you?
      We have a couple of friends who have been absolute angels. They have stayed connected and assisted us in more ways that we could have imagined during the challenging times the past couple of months. When Tennyson arrived unexpectedly early, we were so far from being prepared for him. I was expecting to have seven more weeks to make purchases and get things ready! We didn't have a bed for him or appropriately sized clothes & diapers etc. I at least did think to purchase a carseat just a few weeks prior. Anyways, this couple went above and beyond to fill in the gaps. They picked up our crib (two hours away!), and even offered to set it up for us. They purchased clothes and a changing pad for him. They picked up our mail and kept an eye on our home during each hospital stay. She even shoveled our driveway, which was quite the snowy and icy mess. Most of all, they offered us their presence. She texted me often, and that was so wonderful to me to have that support and love. All that they were and did still astounds me. If there was ever an example of living out one's faith and following of Jesus, they are it. They didn't just sit with the knowledge of us going through a challenging time and merely say "I'm praying for you;" they acted. They were the hands and feet of Jesus meeting a need and sharing his love. "Nicest thing" just isn't adequate to describe their kindness and generosity.

3. What is your favorite sport to play? To watch?
     I played tennis beginning around fourth grade. I played through high school, then took a break. I then picked it back up and played in college. After college, tennis fell to the wayside. I still enjoy watching the game, but don't do it often. The only sport I care to watch is baseball, but even then I have to be at a game. I am really not a sports kind of person. Sports just don't capture my interest or hold my attention. I think the reason I can sometimes watch baseball and tennis is because I played these as a kid. I'm  the last person you'd want to invite to the game or to the party, but perhaps the first person for fun appetizers or snacks. haha. 

4. What is your favorite song? Why do you like it?
      My favorite song is actually the hymn, "I Need Thee Every Hour." The lyrics are so humbling and also remind me to place my focus on Him. They speak to my soul so beautifully. When Tennyson was undergoing a test at the hospital I quietly prayed, then sang this song, and then prayed some more. I still often sing it to him in those sweet nursing moments. It's a song that captures the moment whether it be "in joy or pain." The following video is a really neat version (love a cappella!).  


I need thee every hour, most gracious Lord;
no tender voice like thine can peace afford

I need thee, O I need thee;
every hour I need thee;
O bless me now, my Savior, I come to thee.

I need thee every hour; stay thou nearby;
temptations lose their power when thou art nigh.

I need thee every hour, in joy or pain;
come quickly and abide, or life is vain.

I need thee every hour; teach me thy will; 
and thy rich promises in me fulfill.

I need the every hour, most Holy One;
O make me thine indeed, thou blessed Son





5. What is your favorite thing to do in your spare time? (Thank you Amy K. for submitting this question this week!)
      I'm quite the arts & crafts kind of gal. I'm drawn to anything creative. If something can be accomplished via the diy approach, then that's what I tend to do. I always have a long list of projects to be done (and another list of projects waiting to be finished). My current project is to paint some simple canvas boards for Tennyson's room. I said I wouldn't decorate the space since it's temporary, but with as much time as I spend in there feeding him I wouldn't mind some color and other little touches to bring the space together. 
       The creative side of me isn't a part that is going to be dropped simply because I now have a little one to look after. I've determined that in order to still get in this happy craft time, I'd pick one project a week and then work on it each day for only about 15 minutes. I find that I can spare 15 minutes during one of his naps. If the project needs more time then I just extend it to being a goal for next week. Hopefully I can get the "projects to finish" listed completed and clutter cleared. 


How would you answer this week's Five Question Friday? What questions would you like to see answered in future 5QF?
Linked up at: 

1 comment:

  1. I am definitely a "home body" too. Although there were times this winter when I was longing for a nice beach vacation. I actually really enjoy watching sports, but since we don't have any type of tv service, I don't get the chance very often. My husband and I enjoy every once in a while going out and getting an appetizer together to watch a game at a local restaurant (especially if it is my favorite team against his!). Thank you for sharing the words to that hymn. I hear it all the time, but I don't think I have ever taken the time to actually sit and think about the words. My favorite is Be Thou My Vision, which is unfortunate because it requires a much better voice than mine to sing its challenging tune haha:) And, like you, I almost always have at least a few craft projects going at the same time. But I am a big reader, so that is usually my favorite thing to do during free time.
    Next week I'd love to hear about your favorite foods! I am a bit of a "foodie" and enjoy trying new things. I'd love to hear about your favorites.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...