Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Book Series: Women Living Well - Chapter 17



Making Your Home a Haven

     "Home." What sentiments does that arouse within you? Is it a place you delight in and eagerly anticipate returning to at times. Or, is it a place you detest and returning met with fierce resistance? The home has a powerful impact on one's life. I'm mindful of the kind of home my child will grow up in, and if it is/will be the kind of place that will bring joy to his life long after he is grown and moved out. 

     I want my child to think fondly of his home, and enjoy being here. I want my husband to find rest and joy at home upon his return at the end of the day. I also want friends to feel welcomed in our home. It's tempting to think that more pleasing decor or elements of entertainment would make the home a haven. However, even with all these elements in place a certain depth would remain missing. I could have all the decorative elements, utmost style and entertaining gadgets or toys in our home, but the space would remain empty without meaning presence of people. 

     That presence begins with me. Courtney says it perfectly when she says, "It is not the things we have or the things we do not have that make our homes a haven. It's you ... you are the key to making a home a haven" (pg. 173). My demeanor contributes significantly to the well-being of my home. As Courtney says, "When I am tense, the rest of the family is tense. When I am crabby, my family is crabby right back at me. I want to have a peaceful home, and I have learned that it starts with me (pg. 172). My attitude, energy and overall character will either build up or tear down our home.

      I'm not always mindful of this truth. Today was a prime example as it was one of those days which started two steps behind and then battled exhaustion, stress and meltdowns. My attitude, energy and overall character stunk, and consequently so did my home. Fortunately, this goal of a positive and pleasing presence within the home is always one that can be worked towards. Tomorrow is yet another opportunity to make my home a haven for my family and guests. 
    


*Note: Reviving Homemaking is not an affiliate of www.womenlivingwell.org or the publishing companies (Thomas Nelson & HarperCollins Christian Publishing). No compensation has been received by either of these entities for the review of the book. All opinions are my own. 

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...